This week we’re knitting with Prose by Wisdom Yarns. Yesterday, I delved into Prose’s colorways, structure, and characteristics. Today we’ll look at knitting toe-up socks.
I’m working on a pair of cuff-down socks. I keep asking myself why I did this. I mean, I love toe-up socks. I always knit toe-up socks. I haven’t knit cuff-down socks for years. I guess I just wanted to try something different. But I’m going back to toe-up socks next time.
I thought I’d be really smart and do some research and increase my knowledge about toe-up socks and have a lot of wisdom to share with you about knitting toe-up socks with our Wisdom yarn Prose. Then I read a lot and took some notes and realized, there’s a thing called a listicle, so instead of reinventing the wheel, I’m sharing a list of 7 great web pages about toe-up socks.
1. The free pattern that comes with Prose yarn is a no-nonsense, straight forward toe-up sock pattern with no deep analysis or tricky math.
2. Cassy’s anatomy of a toe-up sock heel made with a heel flap is a very in-depth review of how to make a heel fit your foot in the most comfortable way possible, as in the picture below from Knit the Hell Out.
3. To add a little texture to your sock pattern, try Hermoine’s everyday sock recipe by Erica Lueder. It’s a great way to use up small scraps of sock yarn that complement other sock yarn with less yardage.
4. Tanis shares 3 different short row heels that she likes to use with toe-up socks, as in the photo below by Tanis Fiber Arts.
5. Louise Tilbrook shares some ideas and tips as in her photo below on easy and well-fitting toe-up socks with self-striping yarn, perfect for knitting up a pair with Prose.
6. Fleegle really gets into the shaping of gussets in this post.
7. Clare studies toe shaping and different cast-ons to make your toes super comfy in their toe-up socks.
So that’s the round up for today. Tomorrow, I’ll share more about my cuff-down socks.
This is part 2 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 1: Knitting with Prose self-striping sock yarn
- Top-down baby sweater in Bella Chenille Multi and Solids - August 3, 2018
- Backwards purling to knit bobbles without all the bother - August 2, 2018
- 5 baby gifts to knit up in a few days with chunky Bella Chenille yarn - August 1, 2018
- How Bella Chenille enhances basic knit stitches differently than most yarns - July 31, 2018
- Bella Chenille, a soft and versatile polyester yarn - July 30, 2018
- Brioche stitches and bamboo yarn, a mutually beneficial blend! - June 29, 2018
- Knitting a modern baby blanket with Bamboo Pop Dots - June 28, 2018
- Using speckled yarn for accents and for larger knits - June 27, 2018
- Sleuthing for knitting patterns you can make with Bamboo Pop Dots - June 26, 2018
- Bamboo Pop Dots, the benefits of rayon in summer yarns - June 25, 2018