This week, I’m knitting with Rozetti Yarns Alaska, a light and airy yarn that wraps one in warmth and softness.
Today I’m making a hat to match the Choux Cowl. I was so impressed with the plaid patterning of the cowl I made yesterday, that I want to make a hat to go with it, but with the colors reversed.
- 1 ball of MC – Stormy, and 1 ball of CC – Frozen Pond
- 32” US5 [3.75mm] circular needle (magic loop), or dpns
- 32” US6 [4mm] circular needle (magic loop), or dpns
- stitch marker
gauge 20 sts, and 30 rows over 4” [10cm] using US6 [4mm] needle in pattern
finished measurements approximately 19” circumference, 10” height, to fit size medium head. The rib is very stretchy, so if you knit loosely, you may need to use a smaller sized needle for the rib section.
Using MC and US5 [3.75mm] needles, cast on 90 stitches, and join in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches. Place a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Knit a 1×1 rib (K1, P1) for 3”. On the last round, increase evenly by 6 stitches (96 stitches).
Change to US6 [4mm] needles and proceed to work the plaid pattern as follows:
(multiple of 4 sts)
Odd Rounds 1-7: With MC, knit to end.
Even Rounds 2-6: With CC, * k3, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 8: With MC, knit to end.
Repeat Rounds 1-8 for pattern for a total of 4 pattern sets. Your work should measure approximately 7” from the cast on edge.
Once all pattern sets are complete, it’s time to start the decreases for the crown. I want to keep the plaid pattern throughout the crown, so the decrease sequence is as follows:
Round 1: With MC, k5, k2tog, * k6, k2tog; rep from * to 1 stitch remaining, k1. (84 stitches)
Round 2: With CC, * k3, sl 1 purlwise wyib, k2, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 3: With MC, knit to end.
Round 4: Same as Round 2.
Round 5: With MC, k4, k2tog, * k5, k2tog; rep from * to 1 stitch remaining, k1. (72 stitches}
Round 6: With CC, * k3, sl 1 purlwise wyib, k1, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Rounds 7 & 8: With MC, knit to end.
Round 9: With MC, * k4, k2tog; rep from * to end. (60 stitches)
Round 10: With CC, * k3, sl 2 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 11: With MC, knit to end.
Round 12: Same as Round 10.
Round 13: With MC, * k3, k2tog; rep from * to end. (48 stitches)
Round 14: With CC, * k3, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 15 & 16: With MC, knit to end.
Round 17: With MC, * k1, k2tog,* k2, k2tog; rep from * to end. (36 stitches)
Round 18: With CC, * k2, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 19: With MC, knit to end.
Round 20: Same as Round 18.
Round 21: With MC, * k2tog, k1; rep from * to end. (24 stitches)
Round 22: With CC, * k1, sl 1 purlwise wyib; rep from * to end.
Round 23: With MC, knit to end.
Round 24: With MC, k2tog to end, cut yarn and gather up remaining 12 stitches with a tapestry needle and weave in ends.
The hat is designed to be worn with the ribbed band turned up to provide a doubled fabric over the ears. This way, it will be warm and soft to wear on a cold winter’s day.
I’m very happy with the finished product. Now I’m looking forward to making a lightweight cowl to be worn with my new hat. Join me tomorrow as I use Alaska to knit a lacy cowl to complete my ensemble.
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: Knitting with Alaska – the Choux Cowl
Go back to part 5: In Stormy Alaska, leftover yarn is a knitted lacy cowl to the rescue
- Taking a pattern for a poncho and reworking it into a loose fitting cardi - June 28, 2019
- Customizing the Miss Molly Tee knitted pattern using Lina yarn - June 27, 2019
- How to alter a knitted pattern to add a personal touch - June 26, 2019
- You can achieve gauge without knitting tightly - June 25, 2019
- Summertime with Fibra Natura Lina yarn - June 24, 2019
- The Blissful Tee in Flax Lace, perfect for those warm summer evenings - May 31, 2019
- Knit up in Flax Lace, the Cabana Bandana is perfect for a hot or windy day - May 30, 2019
- Linen makes the perfect fabric for a light and airy beach cover-up - May 29, 2019
- Knitting with linen yarn, my story, my way - May 28, 2019
- Off to the beach with Fibra Natura Flax Lace - May 27, 2019