This week on KNITmuch we’ve been trying out a new yarn, Uptown Worsted. It’s an anti-pilling acrylic yarn that has a nice versatile springy quality to it, and would be a nice choice for home accessory projects. With this in mind, we’re going to practice an interesting stitch pattern needed for knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn and tomorrow, we’ll show off the finished cozy. If you have knitted gifts on your list this season, a tea cozy is a versatile choice because it just needs to fit a teapot, no worrying about fitting hands or feet!
The tea cozy we’re making is this lovely free pattern found on the blog Cast On Cast Off. It’s a nice textured pattern that won’t take you very long at all to memorize (trust me!) but interesting enough that it won’t feel like a boring project when it’s done. That’s always a good combination.
The stitch pattern is a simple mistake-rib stitch that goes as follows:
- Cast on a multiple of 4 stitches, plus 1 (for example 25 sts, 29, 33, etc).
- (RS): K2, p2. Repeat to 1 stitch from end of row, k1.
- (WS): As RS.
- Repeat these last 2 rows.
You’re not reading that wrong! The right side and wrong side rows are worked identically. After a few rows you’ll see the vertical texture start to take shape.
Choosing between the neutral “latte” beige and the “cherry” pink colors, I had to reach for the cherry pink for the final project. It’ll be so bright and cheerful on my teapot on the kitchen counter.
To get ready for your own teapot project, you’ll need a ball of Uptown Worsted or similar worsted weight yarn, 4.5mm needles or the needle size you prefer, and don’t forget your pompom maker! The finishing touch is the pompom on top. I love making pompoms and don’t get enough chances to make them in my other projects.
I hope you’ll join us in knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn. If you have knitted gifts on your list this season, a tea cozy is a versatile choice.
- 2 finishing steps for Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 29, 2016
- 3 stitches knit up the honeycomb stitch - January 28, 2016
- Knitting your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 27, 2016
- Swatching for your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 26, 2016
- Knitting for the home with Uptown Worsted - January 25, 2016
- Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy - December 18, 2015
- Knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn - December 17, 2015
- Knitting a classic: cables and ribbing - December 16, 2015
- The basketweave pattern makes a cool swatch - December 15, 2015
- Uptown Worsted: a new yarn to try - December 14, 2015