To finish out our week of knitting with Uptown Worsted, we’re showing off a finished tea cozy project! Tea cozies are great knitting projects for the home and they make the best knitted gift for friends and family who always have the kettle on!
Uptown Worsted yarn is a 100% acrylic yarn, which is easy to wash and designed to be anti-pilling. Synthetic yarns like this are a good choice for fuss-free projects for home accessories; easy to wash and insulate a lot of warmth. Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy.
In yesterday’s post we practiced the stitch pattern used in this project, and today is the final reveal. This is the free Time for Tea cozy pattern, posted on the Cast on Cast off Blog, exploring ribbing – another way to add texture to your knitting projects. To make this project, you’ll need just one skein of Uptown Worsted, 4.5mm needles (or your preferred size to get the gauge you want), a pom pom maker, and tapestry needle.
The pattern instructions are easy to follow and relatively simple. The way this is constructed is to make 2 separate, identical pieces, and then sew them together on the sides leaving gaps for the spout and handle. This part you may need to customize a little bit depending on the teapot you’re making it for.
The original pattern uses 2 colors of DK weight yarn held double (working with 2 strands of yarn at the same time), but I found 1 strand of worsted weight yarn worked just fine. Also, it’s easy to adjust the size of the pattern by adding or removing stitches in multiples of 4. I worked the pattern as-is and came out with a cozy size for my 4-6 cup teapot.
And of course, the final step is to make a pom pom and sew it to the top of the tea cozy. Making the pom pom is always a fun step for me, I don’t usually get the chance to make them in most knitting projects I do.
It’s only a shame I only have one teapot to cover with a neat project like this! You can find a lot of great cozy patterns out there, such as in this Ravelry pattern search. Even if you have just one skein of yarn to work with you may be surprised what you can make with it. Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy.
- 2 finishing steps for Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 29, 2016
- 3 stitches knit up the honeycomb stitch - January 28, 2016
- Knitting your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 27, 2016
- Swatching for your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 26, 2016
- Knitting for the home with Uptown Worsted - January 25, 2016
- Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy - December 18, 2015
- Knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn - December 17, 2015
- Knitting a classic: cables and ribbing - December 16, 2015
- The basketweave pattern makes a cool swatch - December 15, 2015
- Uptown Worsted: a new yarn to try - December 14, 2015