Reflective yarn first hit my knitting radar about four years ago. The pattern I saw was for a dog coat, and I thought, “how useful!”
Red Heart has added Reflective to their line of yarns. This is a bulky-weight acrylic yarn with a strand of polyester “tape” that’s about 1/32″ [.7mm] wide and reflective on both sides. Reflective comes in 10 colors that will go with most winter coats, including several neon colors that are perfect for the snowboarders in your family.
The three acrylic strands are very soft, and very softly spun. The bulky weight means that it will knit up in a hurry.
Reflective is perfect for any kind of night wear — hats, scarves, leg warmers, gloves, mitts. What more thoughtful gift for a runner than a hat, pair of leg warmers, or headband (or the whole set) that will reflect in headlights when they are out for an early morning or late evening run!
Dog walkers would equally appreciate a hat or mitts, and their furry friends will also be safer on the sidewalk with a dog coat or leash made of Red Heart Reflective yarn.
This week, though, our project is going to be a trick-or-treat bucket designed to keep your ghosts and goblins safe this Hallowe’en. Along our journey, we’re going to learn about cast ons and increasing for center-out circles and we’ll also do a little tutorial about knitting intarsia in the round. Come on along!
This is part 1 of 5 in this series.
Go to part 2: 3 cast ons for knitted circles
- How to write patterns for beginner knitters - May 25, 2018
- What designers consider when writing a knitting pattern - May 24, 2018
- Summery patterns for Papyrus, a summery yarn - May 23, 2018
- Make knitted swatches do dual duty - May 22, 2018
- Papyrus – cottony soft knitting! - May 21, 2018
- Sewing on a zipper and lacing up the edges on a knitted cushion cover - March 31, 2018
- Knit and purl stitch patterns make for a radiant cushion cover - March 30, 2018
- Chart or text your way to a radiant knitted dishcloth! - March 29, 2018
- Fun with knits and purls and Radiant Cotton - March 28, 2018
- How to wind skeins of yarn using a yarn swift and winder - March 27, 2018