This week, we’re knitting with Naked Sock and Allegro by Wisdom Yarns. These are non-allergenic yarns and excellent for those with a vegan outlook or who are allergic to wool. For the last two days we looked at using I-cords as a design feature. Today we move to an easier project that you can knit in about 6 to 10 hours.
I knit the above shawlette. Well, actually, I designed it and my wife knit it, with one skein of Allegro, in the Grape Sonata colorway.
The skills that you need to knit this shawlette include garter stitch, familiarity with picking up and knitting in the sides of knit fabric, and really easy short rows. The combination of these techniques end up with this oblique triangular shape that form scalloped edges. Across the straight edge the shawlette is 46” long and the depth of the triangle to the point is 13”.
Slip all slipped stitches purlwise with yarn in front.
Yfwd: yarn forward
Sl: slip stitch
Instructions begin here
Cast on 6 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1, K5.
Row 2: Sl 1, K4, yfwd, k1—7 sts
Row 3: Sl 1, K6.
Row 4: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 5: Sl 1, knit across.
Rows 6-13: Rep Rows 4 & 5.
Row 14: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1, pick up and knit 1 st in each of 6 eyelets across edge of shawl.
Row 15: Sl 1, knit 6, (yfwd, k1) 3 times in next st, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 16: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 17: Sl 1, k11, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 18: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 19: Sl 1, k10, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 20: Sl 1, knit across.
Odd Rows 21-29: Sl 1, knit 1 less than previous row as established above, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Even rows 22-30: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 31: Sl 1, k5, k7 tbl, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 32: Sl 1, knit.
Repeat rows 6-32 until there are approximately 2 yards of yarn left. Bind off purlwise.
Give this lovely shawlette as a holiday gift to that vegan loved one and they’ll enjoy its squishy softness for years!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Using a knit I-cord as a cast-on technique
- Revolutions, fade your way through handsome hand knits - December 1, 2017
- Simple arithmetic makes an adventure out of an Asymmetrical Shawl - November 30, 2017
- 4 tips for knitting with fuzzy yarn - November 29, 2017
- Revolutions, a yarn that fades one gorgeous color into another - November 28, 2017
- Revolutions: A trendy gradient yarn meets luxurious winter coziness - November 27, 2017
- A knitted beanie is enhanced by twisting stitches in the ribbing - September 29, 2017
- Knitting a beanie using marled yarn and THIS spiral textured shaping - September 28, 2017
- 4 free patterns to knit with Major yarn - September 27, 2017
- Should you hand-wash acrylic knits? - September 26, 2017
- Knitting with Major by Universal Yarn - September 25, 2017