This week, we’re knitting with Naked Sock and Allegro by Wisdom Yarns. These are non-allergenic yarns and excellent for those with a vegan outlook or who are allergic to wool. For the last two days we looked at using I-cords as a design feature. Today we move to an easier project that you can knit in about 6 to 10 hours.
I knit the above shawlette. Well, actually, I designed it and my wife knit it, with one skein of Allegro, in the Grape Sonata colorway.
The skills that you need to knit this shawlette include garter stitch, familiarity with picking up and knitting in the sides of knit fabric, and really easy short rows. The combination of these techniques end up with this oblique triangular shape that form scalloped edges. Across the straight edge the shawlette is 46” long and the depth of the triangle to the point is 13”.
Slip all slipped stitches purlwise with yarn in front.
Yfwd: yarn forward
Sl: slip stitch
Instructions begin here
Cast on 6 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1, K5.
Row 2: Sl 1, K4, yfwd, k1—7 sts
Row 3: Sl 1, K6.
Row 4: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 5: Sl 1, knit across.
Rows 6-13: Rep Rows 4 & 5.
Row 14: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1, pick up and knit 1 st in each of 6 eyelets across edge of shawl.
Row 15: Sl 1, knit 6, (yfwd, k1) 3 times in next st, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 16: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 17: Sl 1, k11, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 18: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 19: Sl 1, k10, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 20: Sl 1, knit across.
Odd Rows 21-29: Sl 1, knit 1 less than previous row as established above, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Even rows 22-30: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 31: Sl 1, k5, k7 tbl, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 32: Sl 1, knit.
Repeat rows 6-32 until there are approximately 2 yards of yarn left. Bind off purlwise.
Give this lovely shawlette as a holiday gift to that vegan loved one and they’ll enjoy its squishy softness for years!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Using a knit I-cord as a cast-on technique
- Knitting with Major by Universal Yarn - September 25, 2017
- This portable knitting project starts with a square, ends with a blanket - July 28, 2017
- Eyes will turn to gaze at your chevron knits with this stitch pattern - July 27, 2017
- Free pattern roundup for Classic Shades Frenzy yarn - July 26, 2017
- Don’t get unspun by single-ply yarns! - July 25, 2017
- Revive your knitting with marled gradient yarns! - July 24, 2017
- Bella Cash yarn makes knit textures sing! - June 30, 2017
- What happens when you knit in the stitch below? - June 29, 2017
- What I learned about Brioche knitting - June 28, 2017
- 3 things to consider when substituting yarns - June 27, 2017