This week, we’re knitting with Naked Sock and Allegro by Wisdom Yarns. These are non-allergenic yarns and excellent for those with a vegan outlook or who are allergic to wool. For the last two days we looked at using I-cords as a design feature. Today we move to an easier project that you can knit in about 6 to 10 hours.
I knit the above shawlette. Well, actually, I designed it and my wife knit it, with one skein of Allegro, in the Grape Sonata colorway.
The skills that you need to knit this shawlette include garter stitch, familiarity with picking up and knitting in the sides of knit fabric, and really easy short rows. The combination of these techniques end up with this oblique triangular shape that form scalloped edges. Across the straight edge the shawlette is 46” long and the depth of the triangle to the point is 13”.
Slip all slipped stitches purlwise with yarn in front.
Yfwd: yarn forward
Sl: slip stitch
Instructions begin here
Cast on 6 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1, K5.
Row 2: Sl 1, K4, yfwd, k1—7 sts
Row 3: Sl 1, K6.
Row 4: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 5: Sl 1, knit across.
Rows 6-13: Rep Rows 4 & 5.
Row 14: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1, pick up and knit 1 st in each of 6 eyelets across edge of shawl.
Row 15: Sl 1, knit 6, (yfwd, k1) 3 times in next st, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 16: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 17: Sl 1, k11, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 18: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 19: Sl 1, k10, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 20: Sl 1, knit across.
Odd Rows 21-29: Sl 1, knit 1 less than previous row as established above, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Even rows 22-30: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 31: Sl 1, k5, k7 tbl, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 32: Sl 1, knit.
Repeat rows 6-32 until there are approximately 2 yards of yarn left. Bind off purlwise.
Give this lovely shawlette as a holiday gift to that vegan loved one and they’ll enjoy its squishy softness for years!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Using a knit I-cord as a cast-on technique
- Bunny Ear decreases make this stitch pattern best for knitted baby blankie - April 27, 2018
- The anatomy of a knitted beret for baby - April 26, 2018
- Easy patterns to knit with Uptown DK Magix - April 25, 2018
- This antipilling acrylic yarn gets an ‘A’ - April 24, 2018
- Knitting with Uptown DK Magix yarn - April 23, 2018
- Bobbles on the yoke: knitting a child’s top-down sweater using Toy Box - March 2, 2018
- Knit easy child slippers with Toy Box colors - March 1, 2018
- 6 patterns are very soft knit up in Toy Box yarn - February 28, 2018
- Using a swatch to practice weaving in ends with a crochet hook - February 27, 2018
- Out of the Toy Box! Knitting with marled, self-striping chunky yarn - February 26, 2018