This week, we’re knitting with Naked Sock and Allegro by Wisdom Yarns. These are non-allergenic yarns and excellent for those with a vegan outlook or who are allergic to wool. For the last two days we looked at using I-cords as a design feature. Today we move to an easier project that you can knit in about 6 to 10 hours.
I knit the above shawlette. Well, actually, I designed it and my wife knit it, with one skein of Allegro, in the Grape Sonata colorway.
The skills that you need to knit this shawlette include garter stitch, familiarity with picking up and knitting in the sides of knit fabric, and really easy short rows. The combination of these techniques end up with this oblique triangular shape that form scalloped edges. Across the straight edge the shawlette is 46” long and the depth of the triangle to the point is 13”.
Slip all slipped stitches purlwise with yarn in front.
Yfwd: yarn forward
Sl: slip stitch
Instructions begin here
Cast on 6 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1, K5.
Row 2: Sl 1, K4, yfwd, k1—7 sts
Row 3: Sl 1, K6.
Row 4: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 5: Sl 1, knit across.
Rows 6-13: Rep Rows 4 & 5.
Row 14: Sl 1, knit to last st, yfwd, k1, pick up and knit 1 st in each of 6 eyelets across edge of shawl.
Row 15: Sl 1, knit 6, (yfwd, k1) 3 times in next st, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 16: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 17: Sl 1, k11, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 18: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 19: Sl 1, k10, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 20: Sl 1, knit across.
Odd Rows 21-29: Sl 1, knit 1 less than previous row as established above, turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Even rows 22-30: Sl 1, knit across.
Row 31: Sl 1, k5, k7 tbl, knit to last st, yfwd, k1.
Row 32: Sl 1, knit.
Repeat rows 6-32 until there are approximately 2 yards of yarn left. Bind off purlwise.
Give this lovely shawlette as a holiday gift to that vegan loved one and they’ll enjoy its squishy softness for years!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Using a knit I-cord as a cast-on technique
- Top-down baby sweater in Bella Chenille Multi and Solids - August 3, 2018
- Backwards purling to knit bobbles without all the bother - August 2, 2018
- 5 baby gifts to knit up in a few days with chunky Bella Chenille yarn - August 1, 2018
- How Bella Chenille enhances basic knit stitches differently than most yarns - July 31, 2018
- Bella Chenille, a soft and versatile polyester yarn - July 30, 2018
- Brioche stitches and bamboo yarn, a mutually beneficial blend! - June 29, 2018
- Knitting a modern baby blanket with Bamboo Pop Dots - June 28, 2018
- Using speckled yarn for accents and for larger knits - June 27, 2018
- Sleuthing for knitting patterns you can make with Bamboo Pop Dots - June 26, 2018
- Bamboo Pop Dots, the benefits of rayon in summer yarns - June 25, 2018