This week we’ve been making projects from yarn scraps from the blogs we did in 2016 with Universal Yarn. I’ve saved the best — and scrappiest — project for last.
In November, I did a review with Rozetti Cotton Gold yarn. This unique yarn is “spangled” with evenly spaced sequins on a fine strand of cotton yarn.
The project that week was a shawl, which used nearly all three balls of the off-white and silver, and about 10g of the blue.
I decided to combine it with some black double knitting acrylic I had left over from an afghan (I had almost 100g of that), and make not one, but two evening bags.
Pattern (makes 1 bag)
finished measurements: 8″ x 5″ [20 x 13cm] (9½” x 5¾” [24 x 14.5cm])
60g black, double knitting yarn (will make either bag)
15 (90)g Rozetti Cotton Gold
size 5 [3.75mm] straight needles
½ yd or m satin or coat lining
½ yd or m decorating weight (heavy) interfacing
1½ yd [1.2m] black cord (optional)
magnetic purse closure
gauge: 25 sts to 4″ [10cm] over stocking stitch
Notes: Directions are given for smaller size, directions for larger size are given in (brackets)
With black, cast on 48 (56) sts using the cable/ Canadian cast on.
Beg with a k row, work in stockinette st until work measures 4¼” (5″) [11 (12.5)cm] , ending with a k row.
Bottom turning ridge: k across.
Beg with a k row, work stockinette st for 5″ (5¼”) [12.5 (13)cm] from turning ridge, ending with with a K row.
Top turning ridge: k across.
Beg with a k row, work 3¼” [8cm] (4rows) stockinette st. Break black. Join 2 strands of Cotton Gold and work in garter st for 2½” (6″) [6.5 (15)cm].
Small size only: join black and, with RS facing, work in stockinette st for 3¼” [8cm].
Both sizes: Cast off.
Large bag 9¼” x 11″ [23.5 x 28cm]
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: 2 tips to elevate your scrap yarn project to a professional level
- Pomp-a-Doodle and Loop-it – together – make the best bathmat! - January 18, 2019
- Pomp-a-Doodle – yarn without pomp and circumstance - January 17, 2019
- Giggle knitting with Loop-it leads to an adorable baby blanket - January 16, 2019
- Introducing knitting needles to Loop-it yarn - January 15, 2019
- Learn to knit with Loop-it - January 14, 2019
- Mittens and fingerless mitts from Finn - November 23, 2018
- Fair Isle gloves made of Finn yarn - November 22, 2018
- Swatching for Fair Isle gloves with Finn - November 21, 2018
- Finn and tension and negative ease - November 20, 2018
- Knitting with Finn – affordable luxury - November 19, 2018