Greetings, fellow knitters! It’s the start of a new year and finally winter weather has arrived, so doing some great cozy knitting at home is definitely on our “to do” list for free evenings and weekends. The nice thing about winter is that knitting inside feels like the perfect activity, since you can wear and use the things you knit and feel cozy and warm no matter where you are. If you’ve finished your gift knitting from the festive season, January is a great time to treat yourself with some home accessory projects.
Uptown Worsted is our favorite yarn for a second month in a row! We’re going to be knitting with it all week to make a knitted cushion cover with a lovely all-over cabled pattern. To knit along with us this week, you’ll need your favorite color of Uptown Worsted yarn, some 4.5mm needles (or whichever size you need to obtain the same gauge – you can also use circular needles to work flat), and a cable needle for help with the cables. Finally, the pillow will need a poly-fill pillow insert for the finishing touch.
If you’d like to join us, gather up your supplies and then you can get started by knitting a swatch with your needles and the Uptown Worsted. You’re aiming for a stockinette gauge of 17 stitches over 4″ [10cm].
In tomorrow’s post we’ll review the stitch gauge for the stockinette part of the pillow, and another swatch for the cable pattern! Cushion covers are a great choice if you’re looking for a slightly more advanced project than a scarf or hat, and there’s a lot less pressure to get the fit right. And of course, January is a great time to treat yourself with some home accessory projects! Stay tuned tomorrow.
- 2 finishing steps for Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 29, 2016
- 3 stitches knit up the honeycomb stitch - January 28, 2016
- Knitting your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 27, 2016
- Swatching for your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 26, 2016
- Knitting for the home with Uptown Worsted - January 25, 2016
- Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy - December 18, 2015
- Knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn - December 17, 2015
- Knitting a classic: cables and ribbing - December 16, 2015
- The basketweave pattern makes a cool swatch - December 15, 2015
- Uptown Worsted: a new yarn to try - December 14, 2015