A fresh take on the re-usable shopping bag
Re-usable shopping bags are becoming commonplace, since charging for plastic bags almost everyone has similar re-usable ones. Red Heart’s Cordial yarn has the strength to stand up to a large grocery trip and the style to look good at the mall. Cordial yarn is perfect for knitting a shopping bag.
3 balls of Red Heart Cordial in Neon
1 US 10.5 [6mm] 16″ circular needle
1 set of US 10.5 [6mm] double pointed needles
Cast on 100 stitches, join in the round, place marker and knit in stockinette stitch until the bag reaches 10″. Begin the decrease rounds as follows and switch to double pointed needles when the stitches no longer fit the 16″ circular.
Row 1: *Knit 5, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 2: Knit all stitches
Row 3: *Knit 4, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 4: Knit all stitches
Row 5: *Knit 3, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 6: Knit all stitches
Row 7: *Knit 2, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 8: Knit all stitches
Row 9: *Knit 1, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 10: *Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
You should be left with 8 stitches on your needles. Cut the working yarn leaving a long tail. Using your tapestry needle, thread the working yarn around through your live stitches and pull the needles out. Then pull these stitches tight using the working yarn you have just threaded through the other stitches.
For the handles, cast on 4 stitches and work an i-cord for 12″. Do this twice to end up with two handles and sew them onto the bag. Sew each end of the handle approximately 4″ apart, then fold the bag and sew the other handle on the opposite side. By folding the bag, the handle will be precisely on the other side instead of ‘approximately’.
Red Heart’s Cordial yarn is perfect for knitting a shopping bag and it comes in a lot of fun colors, which keep these bags fresh and fun. If you’re looking for a larger bag simply add some length to the body of the bag; make sure you accommodate for the extra yarn needed too!
- Upgrade your seaming with Kitchener stitch - October 12, 2018
- Fair Isle, Flecks and Stripes yarns make the gift making season easy! - October 11, 2018
- How to do effortless Fair Isle knitting - October 10, 2018
- The one mitten pattern you’ll ever need - October 9, 2018
- Super Saver Chunky and Flecks! - October 8, 2018
- It’s not a wrap until it’s been blocked - August 24, 2018
- It’s a Wrap yarn enhances simple knit and purl stitches pattern - August 23, 2018
- Knitting with lace, the easy way - August 22, 2018
- Why you should knit with lace weight yarn - August 21, 2018
- Yarn Review: It’s a Wrap by Red Heart - August 20, 2018