A fresh take on the re-usable shopping bag
Re-usable shopping bags are becoming commonplace, since charging for plastic bags almost everyone has similar re-usable ones. Red Heart’s Cordial yarn has the strength to stand up to a large grocery trip and the style to look good at the mall. Cordial yarn is perfect for knitting a shopping bag.
3 balls of Red Heart Cordial in Neon
1 US 10.5 [6mm] 16″ circular needle
1 set of US 10.5 [6mm] double pointed needles
Cast on 100 stitches, join in the round, place marker and knit in stockinette stitch until the bag reaches 10″. Begin the decrease rounds as follows and switch to double pointed needles when the stitches no longer fit the 16″ circular.
Row 1: *Knit 5, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 2: Knit all stitches
Row 3: *Knit 4, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 4: Knit all stitches
Row 5: *Knit 3, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 6: Knit all stitches
Row 7: *Knit 2, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 8: Knit all stitches
Row 9: *Knit 1, Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
Row 10: *Knit 2 together* Repeat until end of row.
You should be left with 8 stitches on your needles. Cut the working yarn leaving a long tail. Using your tapestry needle, thread the working yarn around through your live stitches and pull the needles out. Then pull these stitches tight using the working yarn you have just threaded through the other stitches.
For the handles, cast on 4 stitches and work an i-cord for 12″. Do this twice to end up with two handles and sew them onto the bag. Sew each end of the handle approximately 4″ apart, then fold the bag and sew the other handle on the opposite side. By folding the bag, the handle will be precisely on the other side instead of ‘approximately’.
Red Heart’s Cordial yarn is perfect for knitting a shopping bag and it comes in a lot of fun colors, which keep these bags fresh and fun. If you’re looking for a larger bag simply add some length to the body of the bag; make sure you accommodate for the extra yarn needed too!
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018
- Knitting snowflakes into a hat - July 19, 2018
- The definition of using stitch definition when knitting - July 18, 2018
- Center double decrease makes a good knitting mantra for Soft blanket - July 17, 2018
- The essential yarn for knitting soft garments - July 16, 2018
- The anatomy of a pompom - June 1, 2018
- Knitting the Road to Success Chic Hat - May 31, 2018
- Steam blocking a shawl knitted with Chic Sheep goes from good to great! - May 30, 2018
- A simple lace triangle shawl is luxurious knitted with Chic Sheep yarn - May 29, 2018
- NEW! Red Heart Chic Sheep yarn by Marly Bird - May 28, 2018