If you’ve been reading along with us this week on KNITmuch, you’ll know we’ve been starting on a cushion cover project for the home, using Uptown Worsted yarn. In December we introduced some project options for the Uptown Worsted yarn, which is a versatile 100% acrylic. This is a great yarn choice for home projects because it’s easy to care for – any spills or stains can be easily spot-cleaned or machine-washed since acrylic yarn is very sturdy. Today we’ll be starting on the simple “back” piece for the cover. Pillow covers are a great way to upgrade your knitting skills on the way to sweaters or other large projects.
In the photo above you can see the project as it is in the finished form. It has a front piece done in all-over cables, and a back piece that’s completely stockinette (knit all sts on the right side, purl on the wrong side). Let’s start with the wrong side piece. Using your US7 [4.5mm] needles (or the needle size you need for 17sts per 4″ gauge) – either straight needles, or circular needles that you’d like to use to work flat, and your favorite color of Uptown Worsted, you’re ready to cast on.
For the back piece:
- Cast on 82 sts.
- Knit in stockinette stitch (knit all RS sts and purl all WS sts) until the work measures 18½ʺ in length, ending with a WS row.
- Bind off all stitches, being careful not to bind off too tightly.
And that’s it! In the next post we’ll work on the front piece with the cabled pattern. This project will eventually use cabled stitches, and seaming skills. Cushion covers are a great way to upgrade your knitting skills on the way to sweaters or other large projects.
- 2 finishing steps for Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 29, 2016
- 3 stitches knit up the honeycomb stitch - January 28, 2016
- Knitting your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 27, 2016
- Swatching for your Uptown Worsted cushion cover - January 26, 2016
- Knitting for the home with Uptown Worsted - January 25, 2016
- Uptown Worsted yarn is ideal for tea cozy - December 18, 2015
- Knitting a tea cozy with Uptown Worsted yarn - December 17, 2015
- Knitting a classic: cables and ribbing - December 16, 2015
- The basketweave pattern makes a cool swatch - December 15, 2015
- Uptown Worsted: a new yarn to try - December 14, 2015