The last pattern I want to go over is the Swirls and Stripes Mosaic Bag pattern. The day before yesterday we talked about lace knitting in depth, this time, we’re talking about color work. One technique with self-striping yarn that is one of my absolute favorites is color work. I love the fact that your yarn will change colors without any weaving in ends or splicing ends.
If you’re new to color work and want to make a really impressive garment, take a look at this pattern. It’s a color work bag, but instead of using two solid colors, swap one out with a self-striping yarn like Super Saver Stripes and Super Saver. The colors will shift as you knit along making it look like you used a lot of different colors and managed to swap them out as you went along. Meanwhile, you’re simply knitting with just two colors. This is also great for travelling projects. If you don’t want to drag 6-7 different colors around with you while travelling one skein of Super Saver Solids does the job of all those other skeins (who you only needed part skeins of anyway). You’re really getting your money’s worth with one skein of Super Saver Stripes.
If you’re looking to see how two yarns are going to knit up together, this is a perfect small project. Now that grocery stores are charging for plastic bags, who couldn’t use an extra re-usable bag? I know I have lots, but never seem to have one when I need one. With something you’ve knit yourself, you’re going to keep it in mind for when you’re headed out the door to the grocery store.
I love the look of projects like philosophers sweaters, but weaving in all those ends gives me nightmares. I’ve finally found a way to get that sweater and keep my sanity! I can just knit along with Super Saver Stripes and the colors will change as I go. No overtime required!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: How self-striping yarn adds pizzazz to a simple lace patterned scarf
- Upgrade your seaming with Kitchener stitch - October 12, 2018
- Fair Isle, Flecks and Stripes yarns make the gift making season easy! - October 11, 2018
- How to do effortless Fair Isle knitting - October 10, 2018
- The one mitten pattern you’ll ever need - October 9, 2018
- Super Saver Chunky and Flecks! - October 8, 2018
- It’s not a wrap until it’s been blocked - August 24, 2018
- It’s a Wrap yarn enhances simple knit and purl stitches pattern - August 23, 2018
- Knitting with lace, the easy way - August 22, 2018
- Why you should knit with lace weight yarn - August 21, 2018
- Yarn Review: It’s a Wrap by Red Heart - August 20, 2018