Sophisticated Table Top Embellishments
This pattern for a linen stitch place mat and coaster are the one detail that really sets a tone for your dinner party. With the appearance of a woven fabric these place settings really add a touch of class to your dining room.
1 ball Red Heart Cordial Yarn in Natural (one ball makes up to five individual coasters)
1 size US 10.5 [6mm] straight or circular needle
1 tapestry needle
Cast on 16 stitches. Your first row will start on the wrong side. All stitches that are slipped throughout the pattern, are all slipped purl-wise.
Row 1: Slip 1, *Purl 1, bring yarn to back, Slip 1, bring yarn to front*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Row 2: Slip 1, *Knit 1, bring yarn to front, Slip 1, bring yarn to back*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Continue in pattern until the coaster is a square (approximately 4″). Weave in ends.
1 ball Red Heart Cordial Yarn in Natural
1 size US 10.5 [6mm] 16″ or longer circular needle
1 tapestry needle
Cast on 60 stitches and follow the exact same two rows as the coaster.
Row 1: Slip 1, *purl 1, bring yarn to back, slip 1, bring yarn to front*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Row 2: Slip 1, *knit 1, bring yarn to front, slip 1, bring yarn to back*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Continue in pattern until your place mat is approximately 12″ long, or desired length, weave in ends.
A couple things to note about this pattern. When bringing the yarn to the front and back, make sure to thread the yarn between the needles in order to prevent a yarn over. If you bring the yarn over your needle it will add an extra stitch to your next row and throw off your pattern.
When you’re putting the yarn in the front and slipping the stitch, your working yarn is simply wrapping around the stitch you’re slipping. That’s what gives this stitch it’s amazing pattern. It looks woven even though it’s actually knitted!
Your beautiful linen stitch place mats and coaster set will be the envy of the dinner party. The absolute best part about this pattern, the edges end up being perfectly flat, no rolling. This project is able to jump right off the needles and onto your dinner table.
- Knitting the Two-Point Hat pattern with Soft yarn - September 20, 2017
- The qualities and benefits of knitting with Red Heart Soft yarn - September 19, 2017
- What cotton yarn knits are perfect for air conditioned places - July 21, 2017
- The Bamboo Stitch adds insulation to cotton yarn knits - July 20, 2017
- Why Creme de la Creme yarn is a good substitute for the Laid Back Shawl - July 19, 2017
- Knitting a layered lace dress that also doubles as a bathing suit cover up - July 18, 2017
- 4 reasons to wear knits made with Creme de la Creme yarn - July 17, 2017
- Self-striping yarn makes swirls and stripes color work easy and stunning - June 23, 2017
- How self-striping yarn adds pizzazz to a simple lace patterned scarf - June 22, 2017
- 11 essential tips to lace knitting - June 21, 2017