Sophisticated Table Top Embellishments
This pattern for a linen stitch place mat and coaster are the one detail that really sets a tone for your dinner party. With the appearance of a woven fabric these place settings really add a touch of class to your dining room.
1 ball Red Heart Cordial Yarn in Natural (one ball makes up to five individual coasters)
1 size US 10.5 [6mm] straight or circular needle
1 tapestry needle
Cast on 16 stitches. Your first row will start on the wrong side. All stitches that are slipped throughout the pattern, are all slipped purl-wise.
Row 1: Slip 1, *Purl 1, bring yarn to back, Slip 1, bring yarn to front*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Row 2: Slip 1, *Knit 1, bring yarn to front, Slip 1, bring yarn to back*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Continue in pattern until the coaster is a square (approximately 4″). Weave in ends.
1 ball Red Heart Cordial Yarn in Natural
1 size US 10.5 [6mm] 16″ or longer circular needle
1 tapestry needle
Cast on 60 stitches and follow the exact same two rows as the coaster.
Row 1: Slip 1, *purl 1, bring yarn to back, slip 1, bring yarn to front*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Row 2: Slip 1, *knit 1, bring yarn to front, slip 1, bring yarn to back*. Repeat the stitches between the * until the end of the row.
Continue in pattern until your place mat is approximately 12″ long, or desired length, weave in ends.
A couple things to note about this pattern. When bringing the yarn to the front and back, make sure to thread the yarn between the needles in order to prevent a yarn over. If you bring the yarn over your needle it will add an extra stitch to your next row and throw off your pattern.
When you’re putting the yarn in the front and slipping the stitch, your working yarn is simply wrapping around the stitch you’re slipping. That’s what gives this stitch it’s amazing pattern. It looks woven even though it’s actually knitted!
Your beautiful linen stitch place mats and coaster set will be the envy of the dinner party. The absolute best part about this pattern, the edges end up being perfectly flat, no rolling. This project is able to jump right off the needles and onto your dinner table.
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018
- Knitting snowflakes into a hat - July 19, 2018
- The definition of using stitch definition when knitting - July 18, 2018
- Center double decrease makes a good knitting mantra for Soft blanket - July 17, 2018
- The essential yarn for knitting soft garments - July 16, 2018
- The anatomy of a pompom - June 1, 2018
- Knitting the Road to Success Chic Hat - May 31, 2018
- Steam blocking a shawl knitted with Chic Sheep goes from good to great! - May 30, 2018
- A simple lace triangle shawl is luxurious knitted with Chic Sheep yarn - May 29, 2018
- NEW! Red Heart Chic Sheep yarn by Marly Bird - May 28, 2018