The newest addition to the Red Heart family is Chic Sheep yarn by Marly Bird. This is really exciting for a number of reasons, but mainly because this yarn is 100% merino wool. Yes, you heard me, it’s all wool. This makes Chic Sheep stand out from the rest of Red Heart yarns, which are typically a wool blend.
With this yarn being 100% merino wool you’d think the washing instructions would get really complicated. Something along the lines of, hand wash by the light of a full moon in cold water made of pure unicorn tears. This is so not the case! Machine wash in cold water and lay flat to dry. If you have a newer washing machine, there is a wool cycle you can use.
I have frequently washed my hand knit garments on the wool cycle with a bit of wool wash and have never had a problem with felting or damage. I’ll admit to being slightly apprehensive about it the first time, but I have never had any issues with a superwash or mercerized yarn.
Another amazing thing about Chic Sheep, is the sheer volume of colors it comes in! There are a total of 24 colors, which means you’ll be able to find the color you’re looking for no matter the project. I’m always pleasantly surprised when a new yarn comes out in a whole lot of colors. I’m a huge color person, so when I’m able to pick bright hues and pair them with neutrals to get an amazing garment, I’m all for it. Mind you, Red Heart is rarely short on colors.
Chic Sheep is a medium weight yarn with a recommended needle size of US 8 [5mm]. This is an excellent standard size yarn, you can make just about anything with it; hats, socks, slippers, cowls, sweaters, mittens, skirts, blankets, shawls, etc.
When I took the skeins out of the bag, I just wanted to keep squishing them. This is a four-ply yarn with lots of air space worked in. It has a lovely hand that makes me want to constantly keep touching it.
This is part 1 of 5 in this series.
- Fair Isle, Flecks and Stripes yarns make the gift making season easy! - October 11, 2018
- How to do effortless Fair Isle knitting - October 10, 2018
- The one mitten pattern you’ll ever need - October 9, 2018
- Super Saver Chunky and Flecks! - October 8, 2018
- It’s not a wrap until it’s been blocked - August 24, 2018
- It’s a Wrap yarn enhances simple knit and purl stitches pattern - August 23, 2018
- Knitting with lace, the easy way - August 22, 2018
- Why you should knit with lace weight yarn - August 21, 2018
- Yarn Review: It’s a Wrap by Red Heart - August 20, 2018
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018