With our efforts to make our earth ‘greener’ and use items that are earth friendly, knitting is becoming a skill we could all use. Bringing this together with Red Heart’s Scrubby makes for an extremely green initiative. I’m going to review the free pattern for a Simple Knit Dishcloth and put a new spin on it.
From the title you’ve probably guessed that we’re talking about making a scrubby for your face. I’m actually looking to replace the small round pads we use for taking off makeup. The Simple Knit Dishcloth pattern is a perfect place to start for these. You’re going to want to mix a strand of cotton yarn and a strand of scrubby together so it’s not too harsh on your face.
Depending on your preference, I would decrease the amount of stitches you’re casting on as well. I would say to cast on 8-10 in order to get the small size of the makeup pads. I know the makeup pads are round and this pattern is square, but let’s be honest, we all fold them in half to get a corner. Now there are four corners with no folding required.
I would use the same needle size in order to get a thicker pad, a thinner one would be a little bit more difficult to control. Mind you, a thick or thin scrubby would be a perfect exfoliating cloth to use just before you put on your nighttime moisturizer.
You could also use the pattern Clean in Stripes Dishcloth, instead of different colors of yarn, you could just alternate cotton and Scrubby or Scrubby Sparkle. It’s another fabulous pattern ready to be adapted to any situation including gift giving. These small scrubbies are an excellent add-on to a gift or gift card. It’s always nice to include a tangible object especially when you’re giving a gift card for makeup.
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: 3 tips for mixing Scrubby Yarn with other yarns
Go to part 5: Clean Corner to Corner with Red Heart’s Scrubby yarns
- Knitting the Two-Point Hat pattern with Soft yarn - September 20, 2017
- The qualities and benefits of knitting with Red Heart Soft yarn - September 19, 2017
- What cotton yarn knits are perfect for air conditioned places - July 21, 2017
- The Bamboo Stitch adds insulation to cotton yarn knits - July 20, 2017
- Why Creme de la Creme yarn is a good substitute for the Laid Back Shawl - July 19, 2017
- Knitting a layered lace dress that also doubles as a bathing suit cover up - July 18, 2017
- 4 reasons to wear knits made with Creme de la Creme yarn - July 17, 2017
- Self-striping yarn makes swirls and stripes color work easy and stunning - June 23, 2017
- How self-striping yarn adds pizzazz to a simple lace patterned scarf - June 22, 2017
- 11 essential tips to lace knitting - June 21, 2017