Another free pattern Red Heart has up on their website is the Corner-to-Corner Scrubby. This is one of the Scrubby patterns that has a loop on the end of the dishcloth for easy hanging and drying ability. It’s the first pattern I’ve seen with the scrubby variegated colors, which are new.
This is the perfect beginners pattern. Anyone I teach to knit, I usually start them on a dishcloth. It’s a small square that won’t take too long and will actually be useful on a daily basis. A dishcloth is also something that most people are looking to make. The story that comes up most often is a family member or friend knit some dishcloths and they were the best dishcloths this person had ever used.
I really like this pattern because it isn’t your regular cast on X amount of stitches knit for X amount of inches and bind off. You start on the corner and increase, when you get to the middle, you start decreasing. It’s knit as a diamond rather than a square and the hanger is fastened on at the end. Since the construction is a little unusual, I would make it a second project rather than a first.
I like the idea of knitting this scrubby in a solid color and finding the same color in cotton and pairing it with the Scrubby Sparkle. The cotton and Scrubby Sparkle, I would make longer so it was more of a dish towel than a dishcloth. I have one of these hanging from my stove right now and it’s the most used towel in the kitchen. It’s so convenient to be right on the oven handle at hip height. I always walk by and rub my fingers on this particular towel.
If you were to get Scrubby, Scrubby Sparkle and a cotton yarn all in the same color, there’s no telling where the accessories would end! I’m a great fan of matching so I feel confident that should I ever find a cotton in the right color of orange, these dish cloths will dominate my kitchen. It’s been fun to review the many possibilities of play using Red Heart’s Scrubby and Scrubby Sparkle.
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Red Heart’s Scrubby yarn perfect for knitting facial scrubbies
- What cotton yarn knits are perfect for air conditioned places - July 21, 2017
- The Bamboo Stitch adds insulation to cotton yarn knits - July 20, 2017
- Why Creme de la Creme yarn is a good substitute for the Laid Back Shawl - July 19, 2017
- Knitting a layered lace dress that also doubles as a bathing suit cover up - July 18, 2017
- 4 reasons to wear knits made with Creme de la Creme yarn - July 17, 2017
- Self-striping yarn makes swirls and stripes color work easy and stunning - June 23, 2017
- How self-striping yarn adds pizzazz to a simple lace patterned scarf - June 22, 2017
- 11 essential tips to lace knitting - June 21, 2017
- How to effectively work lace stitches using the Super Saver Stripes yarn - June 20, 2017
- Introducing the NEW Super Saver Stripes yarn! - June 19, 2017