Yesterday I talked about Luce yarn and how soft and luxurious it is. The next chapter in my week-long review of Red Heart An Italian Story premium collection yarn is Ombra.
Ombra is an Aran weight yarn with a recommended tension of 18 stitches to 4″ [10cm] using size 9 [5.5mm] needles.
It looks like an i-cord yarn, but when taken apart, it has more of a “double chain” structure.
Ombra comes in 7 other colors: Azurro, a monochromatic mixture of rich turquoises and teals, Fiamma, a pretty, bright mixture of oranges and pinks, Mare, deep rich blues that range from the blue of the ocean on a bright summer’s day to a deep summer’s night. Multi is a real mix of colors and Viola contains great, rich shades of red and bright and deep purples. Finally, Tempo and Terra contains neutral shades: grays for Tempo and beiges, tan, beige, and white for Terra.
There are four free patterns for Ombra on the Red Heart site. The Milan Throw showcases Tempo, and the Palermo Scarf shows how pretty the Fiamma colorway is. The Vista Shawl is photographed in Mare and the Toscana Cardigan is a cozy cardigan shown in Terra that would be great to take the chill of a Tuscan evening!
But, I wanted to knit a hat, and I knew I had the perfect pattern: the River Rib Toque. I designed the River Rib Toque as the Chapeau Moncton over a decade ago. The pattern was published in A Needle Pulling Thread magazine in the winter of 2010. I had only ever made it in natural tones, and I was excited to see how it would look in Ombra in Sorbetto colorway.
I did modify my pink version from the original pattern slightly: I ended at a round 16, and worked only the first 9 rounds in the next section. Then, I worked Rounds 17, 18, and rounds 22 through 24 before finishing this piece.
In the last post of An Italian Story, I’ll look at Vera, a rich blend of 70% wool and 30% alpaca. This story is bound to have a happy ending!
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: Luce yarn from Red Heart – An Italian Story continues
- Vera yarn – a happy ending to An Italian Story - March 22, 2019
- The River Rib Toque in Ombra yarn - March 21, 2019
- Luce yarn from Red Heart – An Italian Story continues - March 20, 2019
- Ora – An Italian Story in a bulky knit - March 19, 2019
- Colorful Chic Sheep – pure wool, pure knitting fun - March 18, 2019
- Pomp-a-Doodle and Loop-it – together – make the best bathmat! - January 18, 2019
- Pomp-a-Doodle – yarn without pomp and circumstance - January 17, 2019
- Giggle knitting with Loop-it leads to an adorable baby blanket - January 16, 2019
- Introducing knitting needles to Loop-it yarn - January 15, 2019
- Learn to knit with Loop-it - January 14, 2019