From Crochet to Knitting
I was looking at the pattern of a crocheted cowl from the label of Red Heart’s yarn Strata and I wanted to turn it into a knitted cowl. Here’s my rendition of it, I’ve kept it ‘airy’ so it can be worn during the warmer months of the year mostly in the office or on a date in the evening. Strata yarn is super soft, like jersey fabric.
1 ball of Strata in the color Aran
1 set of US 15 [10mm] knitting needles
Cast on 27 stitches. Always slip the first stitch in the row as though to purl, purl the first row, knit the second row, then purl the third row. Now you are ready to begin your repeat.
Row 1: (RS) K2, p3 *Repeat to end and add additional k2 for border.
Row 2: (WS) P2, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1 *Repeat to the end with additional p2 for the border.
Row 3: (RS) K all stitches, drop the yos.
Row 4: (WS) P all stitches.
Dropping the yos will feel funny, but I promise it’ll work. The large size of the needles ensures that you’re going to get a very airy cowl.
This jersey yarn is really lovely on your skin and would be a delight when you knit anything that would be worn close to the skin. Cowls or even a shell for the cooler evenings.
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: Cordial yarn is ideal for a knitted market backpack
Go to part 5: Alter the knitted Any Day Beret for summer wear
- How to knit a shawl starting tab - December 22, 2017
- Knitting the Flying V Shawl with Amphora yarn - December 21, 2017
- Taking colorwork design elements from a cowl as a detail for a hat - December 20, 2017
- Knit the Victory Hat pattern and modify it for a matching scarf - December 19, 2017
- The nature and benefits of Amphora yarn - December 18, 2017
- Why Collage and Grande yarns are a match made in knitting heaven - December 6, 2017
- Grande yarn: why it’s perfect for beginner and expert knitters alike - December 5, 2017
- 1 tip to add interest to a simple reversible knitted scarf - November 23, 2017
- Knitting Snowy Arm Warmers pattern using Red Heart Evermore yarn - November 22, 2017
- Evermore yarn: care instructions, tension, needles and loft - November 21, 2017