The Any Day Beret is something that really caught my eye when I was scrolling through Red Heart’s patterns. I decided to knit it up in With Love yarn. It’s a nice light hat perfect for the autumn wear (and spring too!) Knit it now, and be ready for the fall season.
The headband creates a bit of interest by switching the direction of the stitches half way through the hat. It almost looks like a Brioche stitch with all the definition happening in the ‘arrows’.
This hat is suited to a plainer yarn a solid color in other words. If knit up in a variegated yarn the interesting stitch pattern and the patterned yarn would be too much. You would end up with a ton of excitement on the top of your head.
The Strata yarn I talked about in yesterday’s post would also lend itself well to this hat. Because of the bulk, it would end up being slouchy and you would (of course) have to adjust the amount of stitches you cast on. This is something easy enough to play with.
I changed up the needle size and the amount of stitches I wanted to cast on With Love because I wanted the hat to be a bit more summery and wear it in the sun. I took the stitch count down to 64 and the needle size up to US10 [6mm]. This allows a lot more air space so the wind can blow through without making it look too loose.
I’ve said it before and I’ll said it again, With Love is the perfect all-purpose yarn, you can make anything from it; hats, mittens, sweaters, rugs, blankets. Simple patterns look great with variegated yarn and complex ones are accented by the true solid colors.
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Knit the Strata Cowl with a soft jersey yarn
- Effortless Fern Grotto lace swatch knitted in Bamboo Pop - December 14, 2018
- Knitting with Bamboo Pop yarn for a friend - December 13, 2018
- Bamboo Pop is like finding the perfect frame for a piece of knitted art - December 12, 2018
- The Waffle Stitch using Bamboo Pop yarn - December 11, 2018
- Bamboo Pop makes twisting eyelets lace pattern shine - December 10, 2018
- Knitting on the edge, the lace edge - November 2, 2018
- A soothing yarn makes a soothing shawl - November 1, 2018
- New! Uptown Worsted Tapestry: plush and no pilling - October 31, 2018
- Knitting a hat with cables without crossing cables, what? - October 30, 2018
- Uptown Worsted Mist, an anti-pilling acrylic yarn - October 29, 2018