My dear daughter has been wishing for a jumbo yarn blanket for several years now, but I hadn’t gotten around to it (I wonder why). Knitting with jumbo yarn isn’t my favorite, but it’s still knitting, so given the opportunity I knew eventually I would come across the right yarn for it.
I noticed Red Heart Boutique Irresistible Yarn was on our 2017 KNITmuch schedule, and so I took the opportunity to take on the task of knitting it up. What’s that horrible expression, something about killing two of something so very sweet at once with something very hard…!
Irresistible yarn is a weight category 7, otherwise known as jumbo! So I’m using a whopping size US50 [25mm] knitting needles. The fiber is content 90% acrylic and 10% wool, the texture makes me think of roving, and there are two thick strands twisted together. This twist, I find, gives more texture to the finished knit. Each ball weighs 10oz [283g] with 29yd [26m].
My gauge is 4 sts x 4½ rows = 4” [10cm] on the needles I mentioned above.
I asked for 15 balls of Irresistible yarn to make a 5’ x 6’ blanket in stockinette stitch with a garter stitch trim, of which I used only 14. I’ll tell you why in a later post this week.
I kept the blanket simple — no pattern, no cables — and used Red Heart’s Cool Comfort’s Knit Throw (free pattern) to gauge how many more stitches to add for a blanket. Red Heart’s throw measures 40″ x 50″ [101 x [127cm]. Later in the week, I’ll highlight some projects that include cables and simple stitch pattern suited for Irresistible yarn.
Follow me this week to learn more about my knitting adventure with a jumbo yarn and the tips I found along the way. We’ll also explore other patterns that make this yarn quick to knit up.
This is part 1 of 5 in this series.
Go to part 2: The knitty-gritty of Irresistible yarn
- The FREEDOM to make alterations to knitted patterns - June 21, 2019
- Fibra Natura Flax Lace is synonymous with summer! - May 24, 2019
- The beauty of knitting with Aunt Lydia’s Crochet Thread - May 17, 2019
- The Knitting Pilgrim arrives at the Aga Khan Museum - May 7, 2019
- Knitted projects that make you go, WOW! - April 18, 2019
- From Chic Sheep to An Italian Story - March 17, 2019
- FREE! KNITmuch Magazine Issue 7 Now Available! - October 1, 2018
- FREE! KNITmuch Magazine Issue 6 Now Available! - August 2, 2018
- FREE! KNITmuch Magazine Issue 5 Now Available! - December 6, 2017
- 3 knitwear patterns to make using Red Heart Boutique Irresistible yarn - August 18, 2017