After listing the benefits of exfoliation in yesterday’s post, I thought it would be a good idea to teach you how to make your own soap pouch! Knitting an exfoliating soap pouch with Scrubby Yarn is just the thing! This little item is a small pocket that you can tuck a bar of soap into and lather from the outside. The perfect way to turn your favorite soap into a spa treatment.
1 Ball of Red Heart Scrubby in Ocean
US 8 (5mm) needles
1 Tapestry Needle
This soap pouch is knit very simply in a long strip that is doubled back on itself and seamed along the sides. To start, cast on 15 stitches and knit along in garter stitch until you have a rectangular piece of fabric 10″ long.
Fold over 3″ and sew a running stitch or whip stitch along the edge to form the pocket. You’re going to have a bit of a flap left over, but this is to tuck around the soap and keep it in the pouch. Even though there’s no closure the yarn has enough texture to keep the flap closed and the soap from sliding out.
This pattern is designed for a regular commercial size bar of soap, if you’re looking to accommodate an unusually large one, simply add a couple stitches when casting on. The fabric is very flexible and will stretch quite a bit in order to cover different shapes and sizes.
Now your exfoliating soap pouch is ready for the shower! Exfoliating power and being able to get a better grip on your bar of soap all in one. Just slip the bar in, lather and scrub.
Knitting an exfoliating soap pouch with scrubby yarn is fast, easy and fun!
- Knitting the Mobius Cowl with jumbo yarn and sewing the ends - November 5, 2017
- Knitting the Basketweave Pillow pattern and joining jumbo yarn - November 4, 2017
- The jumbo yarn swatch that got away from me - November 3, 2017
- 6 tips for knitting easily with jumbo yarn and large needles - November 2, 2017
- The properties and benefits of Couture Jazz yarn - November 1, 2017
- The hazards of following a complex knitting pattern from your phone - October 21, 2017
- Making the Fall Berries Shawl using the multi-colored Hopscotch yarn - October 20, 2017
- Multi-colored Hopscotch yarn makes it hard to skip the craft aisle - October 19, 2017
- Knitting the Two-Point Hat pattern with Soft yarn - September 20, 2017
- The qualities and benefits of knitting with Red Heart Soft yarn - September 19, 2017