A Garment that Retains the Best Memories of your Summer
This lacy summer shawl is knit up with Red Heart With Love yarn. When I was looking at this yarn with designing patterns in mind, I kept coming back to a memory of camping as a child. After the sun had gone down and everyone was showered we would sit by the campfire and tell stories and talk. There were always copious amounts of blankets, shawls and wraps to wear and I can’t help but think this one would have fit right in.
1 Ball of Red Heart With Love in Eggshell
6mm (US 10) circular needle with a 32inch cable
1 Tapestry Needle
Cast on 3 stitches to start the three-stitch garter tab shawl cast on. Knit 6 rows. Knit 3, pick up 4 stitches along the edge of the tab you’ve just knit, then pick up three more along the other side of the tab (where you cast on).
Set up Rows
Row 1: Knit 3, Yarn Over, Knit 3, Yarn Over, Knit 3
Row 2: Knit 3, Knit in the front and back of next 5 stitches (or until there are only 3 left) and Knit the last 3.
Row 1: Knit 3, Yarn Over, Yarn Over, *Slip 1, Knit 1, Yarn Over, Pass Slipped Stitch Over* Yarn Over, Knit 3
Row 2: Knit 3, Knit in the Front and Back, Purl until the next Yarn Over, Knit 1, Knit 1 Through the Back Loop, Knit 3.
For Row 1 of the pattern row, you are going to be passing that slipped stitch over a knit stitch and a yarn over. I know it is two stitches, but that’s what makes the really pretty lace pattern!
Continue in this pattern until the shawl has reached the length you desire. The shawl in the photos did not use one complete ball, but feel free to keep going for two balls if you so choose. Just make sure to save a fair amount for the bind off because it will be the longest row.
Row 1: Knit 3, *Yarn Over, Knit 2 Together* Yarn Over, Knit 3
Row 2: Knit 3, Knit in the Front and Back, Knit until last yarn over and Knit in the Front and Back, then Knit 3
Row 3-5: Knit all stitches
Bind off with Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, or another technique that allows the bind off edge to have some flexibility. You’re ready to wear your lovely shawl! Mine was a little curly immediately after I finished knitting, due to the lace pattern, but after one wash it was completely tame.
A lovely lacy summer shawl that is versatile enough to fit in on a campground or in an office, made with touchable soft yarn. This garment is going to be a staple in your seasonal wardrobe and with all the fun colors you can make enough for the week!
- Knitting the Two-Point Hat pattern with Soft yarn - September 20, 2017
- The qualities and benefits of knitting with Red Heart Soft yarn - September 19, 2017
- What cotton yarn knits are perfect for air conditioned places - July 21, 2017
- The Bamboo Stitch adds insulation to cotton yarn knits - July 20, 2017
- Why Creme de la Creme yarn is a good substitute for the Laid Back Shawl - July 19, 2017
- Knitting a layered lace dress that also doubles as a bathing suit cover up - July 18, 2017
- 4 reasons to wear knits made with Creme de la Creme yarn - July 17, 2017
- Self-striping yarn makes swirls and stripes color work easy and stunning - June 23, 2017
- How self-striping yarn adds pizzazz to a simple lace patterned scarf - June 22, 2017
- 11 essential tips to lace knitting - June 21, 2017