This week it’s all about what to do with leftover yarn, and we started yesterday with an easy crafting and decorating idea.
I love the idea of hanging tiny little mittens on a Christmas tree or for general holiday decoration, which reminds me, a couple years ago I wrote the 6 essentials when knitting a holiday stocking with fur trim, another ideal project for leftover yarn. Make these two projects, and have mittens and matching stockings from the same yarn!
I’m usually not a fan of knitting tiny little things like mittens or little stuffies. I like the idea of them, but actually knitting them daunts me. No idea why because once I start I’m reminded of how nice it is to have a nice quick project. The Mitten Ornament pattern is really nice to knit, quick and not overly complicated.
The mitten is knit flat and folded in half and seamed up the side once complete. The thumb side is the side you will fold. There are 8 stitches placed on a stitch holder there and you complete the thumb on dpn’s after the rest of the mitten is complete. This construction wouldn’t be as nice for a mitten you would be wearing on your hands because there is a seam up one side. It’s perfect for this application though! It makes it very easy to knit this tiny little mitten with less use of dpn’s.
The instructions for this pattern are very clear and easy, if you’ve never knit a mitten before and would like to, this would be a great way to get a sneak peek at how thumb gussets work. It’s a low stakes version of a bigger mitten. After knitting a couple of these ornaments, you’ll be good to go and knit the larger version for yourself.
After you’ve knit these up, perhaps you’ll be giving them out as gifts for those on your list next year. It’s the very definition of potato chip knitting, you can’t knit just one. Partly because mittens are always knit in pairs, but also because they’re so fun! Join me tomorrow for more knitting ideas using leftovers yarn.
This is part 2 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 1: Using leftover yarn for crafting and decorating ideas
- Fair Isle, Flecks and Stripes yarns make the gift making season easy! - October 11, 2018
- How to do effortless Fair Isle knitting - October 10, 2018
- The one mitten pattern you’ll ever need - October 9, 2018
- Super Saver Chunky and Flecks! - October 8, 2018
- It’s not a wrap until it’s been blocked - August 24, 2018
- It’s a Wrap yarn enhances simple knit and purl stitches pattern - August 23, 2018
- Knitting with lace, the easy way - August 22, 2018
- Why you should knit with lace weight yarn - August 21, 2018
- Yarn Review: It’s a Wrap by Red Heart - August 20, 2018
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018