Twilight Should Sparkle
This is my absolute favorite Twilight knitted hat pattern; I’ll warn you that it’s plain, but that is the whole reason I invented it. When looking around for a really good hat pattern, they were all quite elaborate. There was always some kind of design function that wouldn’t lend itself well to bulky yarn; it was slouchy, or lacy, or it just had a complicated stitch pattern. I had been looking to knit a hat that had a tighter tension and was very functional.
Since this hat is so plain, I would suggest knitting it in one of the variegated colors of the Boutique Twilight yarn. It’s plain stockinette stitch with a hem of K1P1 ribbing. If you accidentally knit the hat too deep, the ribbing edge can be folded up because the ribbing is reversible.
1 ball Red Heart’s Boutique Twilight yarn in color Pixie
11 US [8mm] 16″ circular needle length
11 US [8mm] 1 set of dpns
1 tapestry needle
CO 44 stitches onto your circular needle; join into round, careful not to twist, place marker and knit in K1P1 ribbing for 2″. On the first round of stockinette stitch, decrease 4 stitches evenly over the first round, leaving you with 40 stitches. Knit in plain stockinette stitch until that hat measures 6.5″ from cast on edge. Begin your decreases as outlined below.
Row 1: *K4, K2TOG* Repeat
Row 2: Knit all stitches
Row 3: *K3, K2TOG* Repeat
Row 4: Knit all stitches
Row 5: *K2, K2TOG* Repeat
Row 6: Knit all stitches
Row 7: *K1, K2TOG* Repeat
Row 8: K2TOG
Row 9: K2TOG
Cut your yarn leaving a 10″ tail and use the tapestry needle to thread it through the remaining stitches. Pull it tight and weave in the end. If you choose to make a pompom and attach it to the top, you can use this tail to secure it into place.
This Twilight knitted hat may be just a plain and simple hat, but it’s one of the most versatile garments I have ever knit. The yarn colors can really set it apart, or you can tone it down for those more conservative with their outer wear. The best part, you can knit one in two hours; perfect for last minute gifts.
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018
- Knitting snowflakes into a hat - July 19, 2018
- The definition of using stitch definition when knitting - July 18, 2018
- Center double decrease makes a good knitting mantra for Soft blanket - July 17, 2018
- The essential yarn for knitting soft garments - July 16, 2018
- The anatomy of a pompom - June 1, 2018
- Knitting the Road to Success Chic Hat - May 31, 2018
- Steam blocking a shawl knitted with Chic Sheep goes from good to great! - May 30, 2018
- A simple lace triangle shawl is luxurious knitted with Chic Sheep yarn - May 29, 2018
- NEW! Red Heart Chic Sheep yarn by Marly Bird - May 28, 2018