Infinitely Warm Leg Warmers
Now that it’s officially fall, keep warm with these stretchy ribbed leg warmers using Red Heart’s Infinity Boutique yarn. It’s a simple pattern with a thick yarn, perfect for last minute holiday gifts or sudden cold weather. If you’re just getting back into knitting after a summer off, ease in with something soft, useful and quick.
US 11 [8mm]1 set of dpns
1 ball of Red Heart Boutique Infinity yarn in color Enchanted
1 tapestry needle
CO 24 stitches over three needles, 8 stitches on each needle. Join into the round and work a K1P1 rib pattern. For the leg warmers pictured, I used one size needle through the whole pattern. If you’re concerned that your calves are a little more curvaceous between ankle and mid-calf, you can always start on 8mm needles and size up to 9mm or 10mm as you continue up the leg. The K1P1 rib pattern gives these leg warmers a lot of stretch so you may not need the extra space.
Continue in this this pattern until the leg warmer is approximately 10″ long. Remember that if you are expecting your garment to stretch side to side, it will shrink in the length. Knitting garments can easily stretch in length or width, but not both. BO in Jenny’s surprisingly stretchy bind off (hereafter referred to as JSSBO).
The idea behind JSSBO is to put more yarn into your bind off and maintain an excellent amount of stretch. This is perfect for finishing off socks, close necklines, or anything that will need to be stretched out in order to get it on. To BO, K1, YO, K1, you’ll now have three stitches on your needle to be BO. Pass the YO over the stitch to its left (like you would with a normal BO). Then pass the stitch on your right, over the left stitch. Make sure your tension is not too tight; the point is to keep it relaxed so this edge can slip easily over your heel.
If you’re intending to size down the pattern for children or up for a larger calf size, any even number will do. The extreme amount of stretch makes this a perfect holiday gift, with very little sizing needed. I’m thinking stocking stuffer, or an excellent beginner pattern for someone looking to learn! Either way, it’s definitely fun to make this leg warmer pattern using Red Heart’s Infinity Boutique yarn. Enjoy!
- Knitting with Magic Loop - July 20, 2018
- Knitting snowflakes into a hat - July 19, 2018
- The definition of using stitch definition when knitting - July 18, 2018
- Center double decrease makes a good knitting mantra for Soft blanket - July 17, 2018
- The essential yarn for knitting soft garments - July 16, 2018
- The anatomy of a pompom - June 1, 2018
- Knitting the Road to Success Chic Hat - May 31, 2018
- Steam blocking a shawl knitted with Chic Sheep goes from good to great! - May 30, 2018
- A simple lace triangle shawl is luxurious knitted with Chic Sheep yarn - May 29, 2018
- NEW! Red Heart Chic Sheep yarn by Marly Bird - May 28, 2018